If you are bored with the appearance of your motorbike, one of the easiest and quickest ways to give it a new look is to paint the fairings of your motorcycle. If you are going to paint motorcycle fairings for the first time, you might wonder what the best procedure to paint motorbike is. Here are some effective tips for painting your motorcycle that will give you an idea of how to paint your motorcycle fairings the right way -
- First off, remove all the parts of the motorcycle that you are planning to paint. Make sure you follow the users' manual that offers specific instructions for your motorbike. Cover the motorcycle with a cover. This will avoid it being naked during the period of painting.
- Rub all the parts that you are planning to paint with wet sand papers. Don't strip the parts to bare metal completely; instead, try to remove the sheen from the original paint. After that, wash all the parts using hot water and soap.
- Once all the parts are clearly washed, apply the paint on different parts. Make sure you follow a simple way to paint motorcycle fairings. Shake the spray paint for two or three minutes before you apply the first coat. You should ensure that you have mixed the paint properly. Also, you should ideally either in a temperature-controlled building or when the temperature is within the acceptable range for the task. After you have given your fairings the first coat, spray an even, yet thin coat of paint, on all the parts.
- Once done, spray a second coat of paint on all the parts and allow the coat to dry for a night. After a time span of 12 hours or so, make sure all the parts are completely dried. Next, sand all the surfaces with a waterproof, 800 grit sandpaper.
- After that, you need to spray a third coat of paint on all the parts separately. Make sure the entire surface is painted evenly. Check if the original color shows up after drying. If yes, consider spraying a few more coats in a similar way.
Once the entire painting is complete, reinstall the parts following the instructions provided in the users' manual.
Men have always been passionate about motorcycles as most believe it to be a style statement to vroom on their vehicle of choice. To meet the varied tastes of men in motorcycles, different companies across the world, have manufactured a wide range of luxurious bikes. Motorbikes not only allow you to travel comfortably, but also let you appear effortlessly stylish. Leading global brands like Yamaha, Hayabusa, Kawasaki and Suzuki have manufactured luxurious motorcycles in various styles and colors to give men extensive choices when they take their pick. If you personally feel that motorcycles are awesome, then you must know about the top model and most expensive motorcycles of 2015. Here is the list:
- MTT Turbine Streetfighter –
With a price range of $175,000, this bike features an extremely powerful turban engine from Rolls Royce. This extremely powerful engine helps run the bike at a high speed. The bike has a very sturdy body, made of high quality fiber and aluminum.
- Neiman Marcus Limited Edition Fighter –
Designed by Confederate Motor Co., this bike has been manufactured mainly with steel. This is what makes it appear absolutely unique. By adding a couple of sportbike fairings, you can add to the style quotient of this vehicle.
- Icon Sheene –
Coming from one of the most renowned British bike companies, Barry Sheena, this bike surely deserves a spot amongst the top motorcycles of the world. The bike is equipped with a 1400cc engine that comes along with a charger. In order to make the vehicle appear all the more unique, it has been hand-painted. With all these top notch features, this bike doesn’t come cheap. You will have to shell out $172,000 to bring this beauty home.
This is one of the oldest models of motorbikes, with an age slightly less than a hundred. This bike has purely been designed for classy and experienced riders. If you truly believe that old is gold, this is the bike that you should keep an eye on. This heritage bike is priced at $120,000.
- Coventry Eagle –
- Harley Davidson Rocker –
This is another famous bike that deserves to be listed among the top motorbikes of the world. The bike was adapted from a reputed German company, known as 'House of Thunder'. Quite obviously, all the mechanical details of the bike showcase superior class and quality. Harley Davidson Rocker is popular because of its 37 degrees inclination between the front and the rear. This makes the bike look all the more stylish.
Apart from these, Hub Less Harley Davidson, Ecosse FE Ti XX, Gold Plated Custom Chopper, Ultra-rare Porcupine and Ducati Testa Stretta NCR Macchia are some of the other models that are worth mentioning.
Fairings are one of the most essential accessories of a motorcycle since they not only help improve the vehicle’s performance and protect the rider against weather conditions (rain, cold winds etc), but also make the vehicle appear all the more stylish. However, not many riders are aware of the materials used to manufacture motorcycle fairings. If you too belong to this league, it’s time to learn a few things about them. After all, in order to choose the right motorcycle fairings, you need to know about the different materials with which fairings are made of.
Here’s a brief account of the materials used to create motorcycle fairings:
Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) - This plastic is known for its strength, flexibility and durability, apart from being light weight. It is most commonly used for creating fairings for sport bikes. Some aftermarket fairing manufacturers also use it, thanks to its impressive features that combine the rigidity and strength of styrene and acrylonitrile with the robustness of polybutadiene rubber. ABS is preferred by many as it is resistant to scratch and protects the riders from flying debris. Originally, ABS was created to ensure the best protection to the rider in case s/he faces any type of accident. However, some experts dealing with motorcycle accessories and fairings say that as compared to other modern materials, ABS may be a little fragile and tend to get ruined easily in case an accident involves a massive force. If you are wondering how to make motorcycle fairings using ABS, two common methods employed are injection molds and compression molds respectively.
Fiberglass – This material is made of woven fibers and is largely used as a reinforcing agent for a lot of polymer products. Motorcycle fairings made of this material are mainly used on the race track. Usually, fiberglass is more durable and lighter than ABS plastic. In case your fiberglass fairings are damaged, you can repair them by applying new coats of woven fiberglass cloth combined with a polymer such as epoxy, over the damaged part, after which sanding and finishing should be done.
Carbon fiber reinforced polymer – This is the lightest but one of the most expensive materials used in motorcycle fairings. Fairings made up of this material are mainly used for extreme racing and sport motorcycles.
Now that you know about the different types of material used in motorcycle fairings, you can make an informed choice while buying motorcycle fairing kits for your precious vehicle.
Men take a special pride in owning a high-end motorcycle and are often very particular about maintaining it to its peak performance and aesthetic appeal. With the amount of pollution and traffic a bike has to face, it is only natural that the fairing has scratches and scuffs within few years of buying the vehicle. If these scratches are ignored for too long, the motorcycle is bound to get rusted and lose its shine in the long run.
Ways to Remove Scratches from Fairings
While there are certain techniques to remove the scratches from your fairings, beyond a certain level, the simple step would be to just replace it. With OEM motorcycle fairings available for a majority of makes and models, you can repair or replace the damaged fairings and get your bike restored to its previous glory easily.
Do it yourself
If you decide to remove the scratches on your own, you would require the following materials like grit sandpaper, microfiber clothes, shop towels, wax, utility knife etc. The process would involve various steps like:
- Sanding and getting rid of all the debris
- Filling the dents and valleys
- Smoothening the surface to make it ready for painting
- Cleaning the surface
- Applying primer coat
- Applying the desired color coat
- Finishing it with a clear coat
- Patiently assessing and giving the finishing touches to the neglected areas
- Waxing to give it a shiny look
Though it is an elaborate process, you have to decide if you are going to enjoy it. If not, you may just opt for one of those motorcycle fairing kits specific to your motorcycle brand.
OEM motorcycle fairings are compatible with many of the popular brands such as Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, BMW, Aprilla, and more. It’s important to here that sportbike fairings are the ones that require frequent cleaning or replacements due to their extensive usage. Whether you need Hayabusa motorcycle fairing Kit or need fairings for other brands like Suzuki TL 1000R, GSX 650F, Yamaha YZF-R6, YZF1000RM or any other high-end model, you can find them at leading online and offline stores that stock fairing kits for a wide variety of major brands and models.
Custom Fairing Kits
There are times when these motorcycle fairings won’t match your bike. In such cases, you have the option to order custom-made fairings. You just have to pick the basic design and share all the details that you wish to incorporate in them.
What’s included in a fairing kit?
Most often, reputed companies offer fairing kits that include heat shields, high quality paint, ready-to-fit injection molded fairings, tabs, inserts, seat cowl, matching upper cowl, grip style tank pad, etc. In addition to these, you would have a free option to swap color or make changes, if there is any discoloration.It is now your choice to take the DIY route or procure one of those readily offered fairing to get rid of those scratches and scuffs from your motorcycle fairings.
Fairing Kits – How It Works For Motorcycle Fairings
Good fairing kits use Acryonitrile Butadiene Stryene or ABS, in the injection molding process is critical for all those who are looking to find solid fairing kits that are sensible and sturdy. The benefits of ABS injection molding materials are especially worthwhile (the best option for fairing kits):
- They are not all that expensive when compared to other injection molding options.
- ABS is easy to adjust as it comes with a body that you can quickly paint over.
- The finished material is also strong enough to handle many things that come onto the bike while it is in motion.
The way how ABS injection molding works when creating fairing kits is especially worth exploring. The process used for the creation of new molds in this material is designed to be as specific and controlled as possible based on the demands that you might hold for your bike. ABS fairing kits go through the following:
- The ABS granules are added into a hopper. A heated barrel will be used to melt down the granules so they will be a little more flexible.
- The heater will push the granules through a mold cavity. This is a material in the hopper that can be added or removed as needed and will determine the shape of the plastic material as it is being worked upon.
- The heated material will cool off and harden to where it will fit in the shape of the mold that was originally created.
- The mold is then moved out onto a plate where it will be ejected and ready for installation. This should still be cooled off for a bit to ensure that no warping or other issues come about as the material is being handled at a given time.
The ABS injection molding process is critical for creating fairing kits in that it makes it so all fairings are protected and solidified as well as possible. If the right adjustments are made to the molds then good fairing kits should stand out and work as well as they are supposed to.
What's more is that the molding can be adjusted to include any kind of shape one wants. The fairing kits shape may be prepared before the ABS granules are added into the hopper so there will be a proper setup ready with regards to creating a good look that is suitable and sensible for the goals that people often have when getting their bikes ready.
ABS injection molding can really be an impressive process to see when all is considered. The right molding materials have to be used to ensure that the best possible look can be attained as required for you fairing kits. You should certainly explore this option for preparing a bike when looking for something that fits in perfectly with your style.